1. Who worked at the Lighthouse?
The Lighthouse was staffed by keepers who worked for the U.S. Lighthouse Service. Cape May’s lighthouse generally had one head keeper and two assistants. They carried the oil to the top of the tower every day to power the light, and kept the lens apparatus clean and in working order. Keepers’ pay averaged $600 a year around the turn of the 20th century.
2. Where did the keepers live?
There were two houses built right next to the Lighthouse around 1860 for the keepers and their families. One has since burned, but the other is still standing, on the other side of the fence, near the entrance to the tower.
Hours of operation vary throughout the year. The tower is open daily, April through November, and on weekends most of the rest of the year. The grounds, ground floor, tower and watch room gallery are open to the public. All tours of the tower are self-guided.