About Us

A Model T similar to the one owned by Dr. Physick, is shown in front of the Physick House

The Mid-Atlantic Center for the Arts & Humanities (MAC) is a multi-faceted non-profit organization that promotes the preservation, interpretation and cultural enrichment of the Cape May region for its residents and visitors. With a membership of more than 3,500, a paid staff of 160 and some 300 volunteers, MAC offers a year-round calendar of tours and special events that serves nearly 300,000 people each year. Through its sponsorship of cultural and heritage tourism, MAC has helped transform Cape May from a "summer only" beach resort to the country's leading Victorian theme destination.

 

Since its founding in 1970, MAC:

 

 

  • Restored and maintains the landmark 1879 Emlen Physick Estate, operating a Victorian house museum and Carriage House that hosts changing exhibits in the Carroll Gallery, the Carriage House Café & Tearoom and a museum shop.

  • Restored and maintains the 1st order 1859 Cape May Lighthouse, a working lighthouse that it operates as a maritime museum that includes a museum shop and interpretive display in the adjoining 1893 Oil House.

  • Restored and maintains the 1942 World War II Lookout Tower (Fire Control Tower No. 23), operating it as museum of the Cape May region in World War II and memorial to area veterans.

  • Interprets 200 years of Cape May history and architecture through an extensive array of trolley tours, walking and historic house tours.

  • Offers a year-round calendar of events  that range from outdoor summer festivals to themed weekends to tours of local wineries.

  • Since the launching of the Cape May Music Festival in 1990, offered high quality classical and classic music at affordable prices for residents and visitors.

  • Serves the needs of young families by providing mostly free educational programs and field trips for thousands of area schoolchildren, while hosting a wide range of family programming  at our historic sites.

A Model T similar to the one owned by Dr. Physick, is shown in front of the Physick House